The Arab Institute for Training and Research in Statistic (AITRS) and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Regional Office in Cairo had cooperated with the US Census Bureau, to organize a regional workshop on Population Characteristics within the SDGs Framework 2030 that was held in Amman/Jordan on 22-26 April 2018. The workshop focused on the following:
- Identify the traditional and modern sources that provide accurate data to measure the quantitative indicators of SDGs and report on the progress made towards achieving them.
- Understand the strengths and limitations in various data sources that will be used to submit reports on the countries’ progress towards achieving the ICPD based SDGs.
- Focus on hands-on identification and extraction of data on various population characteristics.
- Review the indicators on population characteristics and their different sources according to the SDGs 2030 requirements.
- Create a template for a base year to help develop a national strategy that ensures the availability of all requirements needed for measuring the quantitative indicators of ICPD based SDGs up to the year 2030.